Wednesday, August 13, 2014

HO Scale Model Train Stations

Used to be, on a long run in a prairie state, you could tell from far away when you were coming into a station. That bright flash in the distance signaled what might be the only green grass in dry summer heat. No matter how much watering it took, stationmasters across the US prided themselves in putting out the town's welcome mat - the lawn in front of the train station.

Once your trains are running, they need a place to stop, and that means choosing a station. Model stations are as varied as the places that had them. Many manufacturers do serious research to provide their stations with detail specific to historical stations, both rural and urban. You can choose one with a waiting room set aside for lady passengers. Add outbuildings, loading docks, warehouses and stockyards. Don't forget a water-tower (also historically accurate) if you're running steam engines or passenger trains. And, just for the memories, be sure to put out a patch of nice green lawn in front of the station!







2 comments:

  1. This is really great info. Recently, I finally built my own model railroad after many years of wanting to do it. Believe me, it's never too late to live your dream! Just don't lose faith and know that it will be worth it in the end, despite all the hard work.

    I was lucky to find some great advice that helped me make my railroad very realistic and detailed, and keep things under budget. Here is one of the resources that helped me a lot:

    http://modeltraincorner.com/2.html

    Let me know if you all have other places where you learn about railroading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been interested in model trains and the beginning stages are pretty fun. I need to remember when laying out the track to include the additional pieces like the water tower and grass. I like to be pretty accurate when doing projects and keeping in mind the small details is important.
    http://www.annshobby.com

    ReplyDelete